Timed out connecting/Socket timed out
Re-install File Sharing
Windows File Sharing sometimes gets into a bad state and needs re-installing.
Use the following steps to uninstall and re-install it.
- Launch Control Panel, then "Network Connections".
- Right-click on "Local Area Connection" and choose "Properties".
- If "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is listed, select
it, then click Uninstall. Then click Close, right click on "Local Area
Connection" again and choose Properties again.
- Click "Install...".
- In the popup window, Select "Service" and click "Add...".
- The Window that pops up should have "File and Printer Sharing for
Microsoft Networks" listed. Select it and click OK.
- Click Close.
- Reboot your computer.
Same error message occurs
If you still get a timeout error after the steps above, try rebooting your iPad
or iPhone. If you still get the same timeout error message, do you have another computer
on your local LAN that could be used to
test the connection to this Windows 7 machine? If so, a UNC path such as "\\Win7Machine\ShareName
in Windows or "smb://Win7Machine/ShareName
" from Mac Finder's "Go->Connect to Server" menu
will attempt to connect using the SMB protocol. If these cannot connect, something must
be blocking the network packets on your Windows 7 machine.