Unknown username or password
Windows XP can return this error message when file and printer sharing are
not installed, or require re-installing.
Install or re-install File and Printer Sharing
- Launch Control Panel, then "Network Connections".
- Right-click on "Local Area Connection" and choose "Properties".
- If "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is listed, select
it, then click Uninstall. Then click Close, right click on "Local Area
Connection" again and choose Properties again.
- Click "Install...".
- In the popup window, Select "Service" and click "Add...".
- The Window that pops up should have "File and Printer Sharing for
Microsoft Networks" listed. Select it and click OK.
- Click Close.
- Reboot your computer.